March 2, 2011

Hasty Chocolate Pudding

I didn't have a cute bowl to put this in :(

Verdict: Win

Normally, I don't like recipes that don't do it the "right" way and are instead quick short cut versions of the original. Call me a snob, but I like food done right.

Well, today I don't quite have that luxury. No one wanted to go get ice cream/red mango with me and with an immunology exam looming, I had to whip up something quick to relieve this huge sugar craving (how do I not have any desserts in my house right now???). I don't even have milk, so I subbed with "milk" made from nonfat instant dry milk powder and a dash of heavy cream. It turned out pretty well and it isn't sickening sweet, which is nice. I had a taste of it and it was good, but what's killing me is that I have to wait for it to cool before I can gobble the rest of it down...

...Just had another bite out of the fridge. It's good. Why do I not have my camera right now?? Got it :)



Hasty Chocolate Pudding from Allrecipes
Yield: Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa and cornstarch. Whisk in milk a little at a time so the mixture does not have any dry lumps.

Place in the microwave, and cook for 3 minutes on high. Stir, then cook at 1 minute intervals, stirring between cooking times for 2 to 4 minutes, or until shiny and thick. Stir in vanilla.

Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming, and chill in the refrigerator. Serve cold.