January 30, 2011

Kimchi Chicken

Verdict: Win

I bought a jar of kimchi last semester and unfortunately haven't had the chance to use it. I was determined to not let it go to waste, so I found the recipe above. I liked it because it was a little more complex ingredients-wise than other recipes that I found, but was still simple to make. All of the ingredients were mixed together and then put in the fridge for a few hours before dinner. Changes: liberally added the soy sauce and sesame oil, and omitted the sambal (sriracha all the way!). I also added one shaved carrot that easily picked up the taste of the kimchi. Next time I'll shave two carrots, just to be able to eat more vegetables and dilute the kimchi flavor a bit. If you like kimchi, then the flavor is good. Cooking the kimchi toned it down a bit, and after DY's suggestion of lowering the temperature to medium, the chicken came out more tender. I served this over a bed of leftover lo mein noodles, which I think acted as a good canvas for the strong kimchi flavor.



Kimchi Chicken adapted from He Cooks She Cooks
Yield: Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
2 cups kimchi
2 chicken breasts, diced into 1 inch squares
3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, shaved
1 thumb size piece of ginger finely diced
teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
Tablespoon of soy sauce

DIRECTIONS
Combine everything but the chicken and taste. If happy with the flavor, then add the chicken and place in fridge overnight.

Place wok over high burner. Add in a splash of canola oil. Cook chicken mixture in batches and toss around until chicken is cooked through. Serve and enjoy over rice.