January 22, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

Verdict: Win

DY just got hungry. Well, I was hungry too, but I've been unusually ravenous all week. I suggested making baked oatmeal because, frankly, all DY has in his cupboard is oatmeal, raisins, salt, and sugar. Great. I did have to drop by my house for a few ingredients, as well as swipe some milk and vanilla extract from DY's roommates (after obtaining approval), but overall this recipe is quite simple. We substituted the dried cranberries with raisins and almost forgot the cinnamon. The recipe called for a 9x13 inch pan, but recipe barely covered the bottom of the pan. Next time I'll use a smaller pan or double the recipe. The baked oatmeal wasn't as crispy as I typically like (instead, it was rather soft and flimsy), but it still pleasantly helped subside our hunger.



Baked Oatmeal II from Allrecipes

INGREDIENTS
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup dried cranberries

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Beat in milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Stir in dried cranberries. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.