February 23, 2011

Mochi Cake

Verdict: Win!

So. Satisfied. This was exactly what I needed tonight/this week! This mochi cake combines the best of the East and West: sweet crunchy outside with a soft, chewy inside. The recipe was so simple that the hardest part about everything was just waiting. 90 minutes in the oven? Wait 30 minutes to cool? Hedonistic me could not wait during the cooling time and so I cut into the cake much too soon. Sarah literally had to pull me away to prevent me from damaging my cake further. The cake is still delicious (even though I was worried that it was burnt - it wasn't), but it could be a lot prettier. Next time I will definitely let my cake rest (I just might need some will power).



Mochi Cake from Week of Menus
Yield: Makes one 9x13 inch pan, or about 24 squares

INGREDIENTS
1 lb box of mochiko flour (3 cups equivalent)
2 1/2 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 14 oz cans of coconut milk - not lowfat (I used two cans of 13.5 oz)
5 large eggs
1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup of butter) melted and slightly cooled
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9X13 baking pan.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together mochiko flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl or large measuring cup (4 cup capacity), beat eggs, then add coconut milk, melted butter and vanilla extract. Carefully pour the wet ingredients over the mochiko flour mixture and whisk until mixture is smooth and uniform in texture.

Pour batter into greased 9X13 pan. Carefully smooth out the top. Bake for 90 minutes, until top is golden brown and the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.

Allow cake to cool for about 30 minutes on a rack, and then carefully flip it out and cut into 24 squares, or the size of your choice. Can store mochi cake for three days, covered.