February 23, 2011

Penne Pasta with Portobello Mushroom Sauce

Verdict: Win

Woah, creamy. DY's not much a cream/cheese fan, and I'm only an occasional fan. I tried to roll back on all of the cream by reducing the amount to 1.5 cups (I guessed, so I'm not sure if I really did reduce it...). I added the whole 6-oz can of tomato paste, which made the sauce way thicker. I definitely held back on the parmesan as I only added about a 1/2 cup. I tossed in chopped green peppers and chicken to make it a more filling one-dish meal, and it was great. The only thing was that the mushrooms were lost in the thick, almost grainy-creamy sauce. Next time (not for a while though, there's only so much cream I can handle in a year) I'll add even less heavy cream, less tomato paste, and substitute with some tomato sauce.

The recipe below is the original. I'd like to play with this more before I make changes.



Penne Pasta with Portobello Mushroom Sauce from My Colombian Recipes
Yield: Serves 6

INGREDIENTS
1 pound penne pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup chopped onions
1/2 pounds chopped portobello mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and Pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
3 tablespoons chopped chives, divided

DIRECTIONS
Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente; drain well and keep warm.

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the cream, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, add the tomato paste, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until thick, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon about 5 minutes. Add the parmigiano-reggiano and 1 tablespoon chives, stir well and adjust the seasoning to taste.

Add the pasta to the mushroom sauce, stirring well and cook until the pasta is heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with remaining chives and serve immediately.