December 4, 2013

Baked Honey-Sriracha Chicken Drumsticks

Verdict: win

It has been a while since I have last posted. I have always been cooking, but my meals are convenient and practical. They are unglamorous, which is the main reason I have not been documenting. I have noticed, however, that every time I do have an inkling to cook something special, I return to the archives of this blog. I realize I have forgotten my original reason for starting this blog - to record recipes for my own use. I do not need a pretty photo or a special recipe to post. It is unfortunate I have not been keeping up with this blog, as I surely will have lost great recipes that I have tried but forgotten to write down here.

Here is a recipe to kick off the return of this blog: baked honey-sriracha chicken drumsticks. These drumsticks are simple (and cheap!), and they satisfy the triple S requirements for wings: sweet, spicy, and sticky. The only change I would make would be the amount of butter in the sauce. The sauce was too heavy with the flavor of butter for my liking, and the sauce seemed broken due to its excess. I prefer only using 2 tablespoons of butter, as recorded below.



Baked Honey-Sriracha Chicken Drumsticks adapted from Food Network and found on The Comfort of Cooking
Yield: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS
For the drumsticks:
2 lbs chicken drumsticks
2 tbsps unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

For the sauce:
2 tbsps unsalted butter
1/2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Sriracha
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil (for easier clean-up), then place a baking rack over the rimmed baking sheet.

In a small bowl, mix butter, vegetable oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pat dry chicken drumsticks with paper towels and place on baking sheet. Pour butter mixture over wings and toss well to coat. Arrange drumsticks in a single layer on baking rack and place in oven. Flip drumsticks occasionally (around every 20 minutes). Bake until browned and crisp, 45 to 55 minutes or to an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees F. For the last 20 minutes, baste drumsticks with sauce (directions below).

Meanwhile, make the sauce: Melt butter in a small pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Stir in honey, Sriracha, soy sauce and lime juice. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.

Place cooked wings in a large bowl. Pour sauce over wings and gently toss to coat. Transfer wings to a serving platter. Alternatively, serve sauce on the side.