August 28, 2011

Tapenade Baked Chicken


Verdict: Win

I love all of the recipe writers on Serious Eats, but one of my favorite SE writers is Kerry Saretsky of French Revolution Food. She writes a column for SE where she takes pre-made spreads or sauces and "repurposes them as cooking agents." I love it. I love that my dinner can be quick and classy (aka with a French flair).

The only problem I ran into was that the skin didn't crisp up as much as I had hoped for. Next time I'll play with the broiled settings at the end. I also need to try using my oven thermometer and roasting thermometer. I think my oven doesn't get as hot as it says it does, as the chicken took a little longer than 25 minutes to fully cook.




Tapenade Baked Chicken from Kerry Saretsky of Serious Eats
Yield: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
4 teaspoons store-bought or homemade black olive tapenade

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Wash the chicken, and dry on paper towel. Season with salt, pepper, and herbes de Provence. Rub each piece of chicken, on all sides, with 1 teaspoon tapenade. Place all 4 thighs, skin-side-up, on a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Roast until the inside of the chicken reaches a temperature of 165°F, about 25 minutes.

***Linda's notes:
Rub oil into chicken skin as well. Bake for 30 minutes. Broil on high for 5-8 minutes until skin crisps (be careful not to burn).