November 8, 2014

Buttermilk Cornbread

Verdict: win

Cornbread is one of the many American foods I somehow missed out on during my childhood. I think I ate cornbread for the first time in high school, and it was love at first bite. I don't care much for breads, biscuits, or buns with meals, but I will never skip out on cornbread.

There's a lot of controversy over sweet vs savory cornbread, but I'm a fan of the sweeter, moist style. This recipe is pretty close to my ideal cornbread recipe. It's very simple and quick. I used Bob's Red Mill medium-grain cornmeal, which added more texture than typical cornbread (it was welcomed). I found that greasing the pan with canola/vegetable oil made the edges crispy (which was even more welcomed). I may consider scaling back the sugar by 20-25% (just a tad too sweet). This recipe is easily doubled and can be baked in a 9x13 pan for about 35 minutes.



Buttermilk Cornbread adapted from Allrecipes
Yield: one 8x8 inch pan

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.

In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking soda.

In a large bowl, beat melted butter, sugar, and eggs until well blended. Stir in buttermilk. In batches, mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.