June 13, 2014

Deviled-Egg Spread

Verdict: win

Officially completed my first week at my big kid job! The pharmacy is undergoing a lot of construction, so one of the guys there set up a regular potluck event until the construction is over. This week was "dip day," where we could bring in our favorite dips. I never really grew up eating dips and spreads at parties, but I did learn over the past few years that one of my favorite party foods is deviled eggs. I've never made deviled eggs, but I found this recipe for a deviled-egg spread and I was sold. Modified it to suit my needs, and it worked out well! It's essentially egg salad, but it hits all of the satisfying notes of a deviled egg.



Deviled-Egg Spread adapted from Food & Wine by Katie Lee
Yield: 10 servings

INGREDIENTS
1 dozen large eggs
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoon yellow mustard
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Paprika, for dusting

DIRECTIONS
In a large pot, cover the eggs with water (about 2 inches above the eggs) and bring to a rapid boil uncovered. Cover the pot and remove it from the heat; let stand for 11 minutes. Drain the eggs and cool them under cold running water or ice water, shaking the pan vigorously to crack the shells. Let the eggs cool in the water.

Shell the eggs (easier under running water) and halve them lengthwise. Remove all of the yolks and mash them in a bowl with a fork. Mix the mayonnaise and mustard with the yolks. Coarsely chop the egg whites, then fold into the yolk mixture. Season with salt and pepper, then garnish the top of spread with paprika. Serve with crackers or toast.

May be made ahead: the deviled-egg spread can be refrigerated overnight.