February 20, 2012

Leftover Pho

Verdict:Win

I call this dish "Leftover Pho." I had leftover pork bones, so I made a broth with the bones and vegetables that needed to be used before they went bad. I had an excess amount of pho noodles from last week's pad thai, so I threw those in (I guess that makes this pho?) along with some stir-fried pork. Lastly, I had plenty of salad greens that I just tossed in until the greens wilted. With a dollop of sriracha this bowl of soup was so homey, and so satisfying...call me a soup-as-a-main-dish convert (Mom would be so proud). Below is my rough recipe, but if I've learned anything this past year of cooking, it's that sometimes recipes don't have to have set rules.



Leftover Pho from me
Yield: 3 servings

INGREDIENTS
leftover pork bones
1 onion, sliced
1 bag carrots, cut
stir-fried pork
pho noodles
salad greens
dash of white pepper or black pepper (optional, but I prefer white)
dollop of sriracha (optional)
salt to taste

DIRECTIONS
Saute onions in a large stock pot. Add the pork bones and sliced onions, then fill the stock pot 3/4 full. Simmer until flavors meld, about 1 hour. Strain liquid and keep the broth. Add salad greens in hot broth until wilted. Add pho noodles and pork. Season as you like.